Sunday, March 20, 2011

10th Anniversary - There's No Place Like Home

Our 10th anniversary was Thursday.  My mil came over to watch the kiddos.  We had the opportunity to stay out all night and even got a hotel room.  We were home by 9 o'clock that night.  As much as I enjoyed having some along time with my husband, I felt like I was walking around missing a limb.  My mil said, "don't lose your identity".  I know she meant well but whatever that was or wasn't supposed to mean made no difference.  Being a mom is my identity.  I grumble sometimes about losing myself and feeling like a mom-bot, but given the opportunity to escape I find that I don't want to.  So, I suppose that we will enjoy dates and couple outings, but at the end of the night I want to be at home with my baby.  I wonder then how old he will be before I can manage the night without him.  The thought of that day makes me sad.  I shop in the clothing section for my baby now where I used to shop for our teenager and it makes me want to cry.  I have a 14 year old too big to wear those cute little innocent boy clothes and some day my baby will be too big to wear them too.  Somehow that seems both wonderful and tragic.  It's easier for me to sleep a night without the teenager at home when he's at a friend's house in part because he could fight off a wild animal, and in part because I wasn't with him the first three years of his life.  I'm thankful to be grounded no matter the reason.  Mom chemistry reminds me that my baby is my home.  I think he probably feels the same way about me.

1 comment:

  1. Girl, I know that feeling so well. It's funny, I never felt that way (missing limb) when I had to go to work and leave them with Eric, but I could never have imagine leaving them with anyone else like that. I thought of them throughout the day, but didn't worry because I knew that they were with the only other person in the whole world who loved them as much as I did. And I am with you on that identity thing. Being a mom IS my identity, TYVM.

    ReplyDelete